Questions

Ask arbitrary questions or express thoughts
badpriest

Questions

Post by badpriest » Thu May 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi! Just installed your addon, really liked the idea and implementation - the icons are great, btw.

I have a couple of questions:

- Why do the term get styled bold when we create it? I really shouldn't break the underlying style.
- Why do the term turn to a hyperlink when we insert it? Shouldn't it be optional? This also creates strain, hinting that the term has more info under it - when it truly has not. Removing the hyperlinks yields more work.

If this offered some kind of settings/options, it would be perfect for my usage.

Thanks!

plinyar
Site Admin

Re: Questions

Post by plinyar » Thu May 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi! Thanks for your feedback.
Both term definition and term reference are created in special styles, "Term" and "Term Reference" respectively. You may see them by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Shift+S in MS Word. So, to remove bold and underline you just need to edit these styles to whatever suits your document styling.

While you may have term references in your document undistinguishable from other text, they are still created as hyperlinks to term definitions in order to let you quickly navigate to the place where the term is defined (by clicking CTRL+Left mouse click), and to see a hint with the term description when you hover the mouse over the term reference. It is done intentionally since in quite a large document with many terms it really helps.

BTW, to return back to the term reference after you navigated to the term definition, you may press ALT+Left arrow.

badpriest

Post by badpriest » Thu May 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks for the quick answer!

Ah, I didn't think to check on stylings! Very cleverly designed, that way.
That will easily allow for the control I need.
I'm still concerned about the linking, though; I'm working on software documentation, so I arranged quite a few terms to be substituted (I mean a lot).
Will it still perform well? Shouldn't we be able to configure that behavior?

Regards.

plinyar
Site Admin

Post by plinyar » Thu May 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Sorry, did see you next question.
Given that you may have term references to be seen as a usual text, can you please uncover a bit more why you still want them not to be hyperlinks? Why you then use this plugin? There are other approaches to manage terms, e.g. http://shaunakelly.com/word/layout/glossary.html.

You see, the whole idea of the plug-in is to be able to have linkage between a term and all the places where the term is used, to be able to quickly comprehend what the "some strange word" means by just clicking on it or hovering mouse over it. That is why I wonder why you insist on getting rid of this.